At the beginning of human history, the first people disobeyed God. That fateful choice proved spiritually fatal-for Adam, Eve, and all their descendants.
Since the fall, we have all imitated our first parents. We have tried to usurp God’s right to control His creation. We have demanded the right to control our own destinies, our own moral judgments, our own decisions.
Even those who actually walked with Jesus fell prey to this proud way of thinking. During the Last Supper, which you might think would be one of the most spiritually intimate moments in the disciples’ experience, an argument broke out about who was the greatest among them. Jesus replied that the greatest among them must be a servant to all.
Beware when you find yourself striving for preeminence. Instead, your quest must be servanthood.
· Praise the Lord that He has revealed His will for us in His Word:
Forever, O Lord, Your word is settled in heaven.
Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
You established the earth, and it abides.
They continue this day according to Your ordinances,
For all are Your servants.
Unless Your law had been my delight,
I would then have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget Your precepts,
For by them You have given me life
· Pray this confession to the Lord as you seek to keep your life free from sin:
I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members (Romans 7:22-23).
· Confess any sins that the Holy Spirit brings to your mind. Now pause to pray this affirmation to the Lord:
You were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord (Ephesians 5:8).
· As you make your requests known to the Lord, pray for:
· greater humility before God,
· the ministry of the Gospel in this COVID crises,
· your activities for the day.
· Offer this closing prayer to the Lord:
I put on the whole armor of God, that I may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil (based on Ephesians 6:11).